Monday, June 29, 2009

The Great Vehicle Debate

First, let me apologize for my lack of posts recently. I have a bunch of great excuses, but I'll just leave it at the apology.

So now for the great debate. Since the news of the impending arrival of baby #3, we have been discussing the many changes that we'll be making in our lives. Another mouth to feed, another tush to diaper, and another HUMAN to accommodate. A bigger house? Maybe. A bigger car? A necessity. I've already had to sell my precious little sporty car. Luckily, she's still in the family, so I'll be able to see her frequently. Anyhow, now we have to decide... what's next? Will we go with the full size SUV? Probably not. They're ridiculous gas-guzzlers! (Go green!) Maybe the cross-over. Three rows, better gas mileage, and a sporty appearance. Then there's the minivan. Plenty of space, tons of storage, great safety ratings, and comparable gas mileage to the crossover. Urgh. It's perfect, I know. I'll love the space, I know. I need to get over my vanities, yes, Dad, I know! But I can't help it. I cannot erase the stigma that exists in my mind in regard to minivans. I just can't imagine myself getting out of one at work, at Publix, even in the privacy of my own garage. I will admit it: I think I am too cool for a minivan. There, I said it. And I'm sorry. I know plenty of cool people who have driven minivans. And it didn't make them any less cool. I didn't care. It's just that this is me. So what to do? I know the answer. I know in the end, I'll let go of my vanity, do what makes the most sense for the family, and buy a minivan. I just can't quite bring myself to admit this out loud yet. I'm trying to deal. And let's see, I have what-- 26 1/2 weeks left to make a decision. And then look out world! I'll be another young mother in a minivan out to prove she's still cool! Speeding tickets, here I come!

5 comments:

  1. YEAH MINIVAN!!!!!!!!!!!! I was completely the same way but I got tired of hearing everyone tell me I needed to go try it out. So I did and ended up getting one. I still consider myself a very cool minivan mom! They really are great but in about a year I will be searching for another SUV if I can get over the gas situation. Just go try one out and see what you think - my favorite part is the doors that open with the key remote :o)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Lori. Thing is, I'm sure I'm going to love it, and that's what keeping me from trying out for now! But like I said, I know this is what I'll end up with. And I, too, will be cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!! I'm so excited! I can't wait to ride in the LJW Van! I totally call a permanent captains seat. I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He He He......I hear the Escalade's are nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love it when I'm right. You are welcome to tour our '06 Odyssey anytime:-)

    ReplyDelete