Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Second Trimester

I know for most women, the first trimester can be hell. Nausea, vomiting, tender breasts, headaches, etc. For some reason, I've been blessed. I've never been more than really tired in any of my pregnancies. During my current pregnancy, I've even been so bold as to comment that I haven't been all that tired. I chalked it up to not having time to pay attention to any fatigue I might feel as I'm too busy with my other two babies. So bring on the second trimester! I'll take the enlarged breasts, the renewed energy, and the womanly glow without ever having to endure the tribulations of the first trimester.

So, Sunday marked 15 weeks, commonly known to be the beginning of this glorious second trimester. On Saturday, I awoke with the most unusual feeling of vertigo. It took hours of lying very still until I could finally walk without pitching as if I were on a cruise ship. Later, I had a brutal headache that followed. Sunday, I awoke to find that my breasts were incredibly tender, something that I haven't experienced so far in this pregnancy. All week long, I've had headaches and occasional bouts of dizziness. So now I have to face my greatest fear: could the first and second trimesters SWITCH? Has this ever happened in the history of pregnancies? My midwife laughed at me, but amidst her laughing, I noticed that she never did reassure me that this was impossible. Now here I am, five weeks from starting back to work as a first grade teacher, mother of a 4 year old and a 1 year old, and possibly just BEGINNING to experience extreme fatigue, nausea, vomiting, and mood swings to boot? Lord help me! Lord help those AROUND me! Just let it not be so...

1 comment:

  1. Did you deliver with a MW before, or are you just switching to one for this pregnancy? Are you delivering in a hospital or at home?

    ReplyDelete